Lorelei’s Lit Lair and the Lit Lair Ladies were excited to attend The Wicked City Book Tour with bestselling author Beatriz Williams, hosted by The Writer’s Block Bookstore in Orlando, FL on January 19th, 2017. The lovely Lit Lair Lady Karen jotted down some interesting fun facts to share. 🙂
THE WICKED CITY BOOK TOUR
Back in Time with Beatriz Williams
by Lit Lair Lady Karen
- Beatriz (pronounced Bee a tris, not Beet riz) is a sucker for old movies and going back in time. I love how she collects stories from all over, researches them, then puts them all together—from her mother-in-law’s kitchen table, to a neighborhood she found interesting, to a haunted cellar. She is also influenced strongly by books she has read.
- BW likes to write sequentially, completing the earlier narrative first. She also likes to go back and forth between one character that is a rule follower and one that is a rule breaker. She is big on doing all of the research before writing the book and structure is important to her. She does, however, like be open to “serendipity” so she doesn’t like to hold so closely to the original book idea that she doesn’t allow surprises.
- One of her struggles? She doesn’t like to physically describe characters. She likes to leave an impression, but doesn’t enjoy providing a thorough physical description.
- She loves history but will always “focus on the human story that is the heart of the book”. The setting and historical facts are props that help that story along.
- Good News! Cocoa Beach is coming out this summer! Also, she just finished her second book with Willig and Williams coming out next year about the Lusitania.
- Beatriz Williams terms:
My “writer’s bells” went off
The internet rabbit hole
Starts with “crumbs” of ideas
- Fun Facts:
If not doing book tours and getting otherwise sidetracked, it takes her 2-3 months to write a book.
Her writing environment is “chaotic.”
She has family trees on her website that grow as she adds more books.
For more pictures click here to visit Lorelei’s Lit Lair Facebook album.
A Hundred Summers (2013),
The Secret Life of Violet Grant (2014),
Tiny Little Thing (2015),
Along the Infinite Sea (2015),
The Forgotten Room (2016),
A Certain Age (June 2016)
The Wicked City (Jan 2017)
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
A graduate of Stanford University with an MBA from Columbia, Beatriz spent several years in New York and London hiding her early attempts at fiction, first on company laptops as a corporate and communications strategy consultant, and then as an at-home producer of small persons. She now lives with her husband and four children near the Connecticut shore, where she divides her time between writing and laundry.
I hope you sign up for my newsletters to receive updates at the top right corner of this post at Never Miss a Post! If it says You are following this blog, then you are good to go!
*Please note that some cover images and text links connect to a Lorelei’s Lit Lair affiliate portal. Thank you so much for your support. It’s greatly appreciated!